In 1862, just 3 years after Oregon became a state, First A.M.E. Zion Church of Portland (then called The People's Church) was organized at the home of Mrs. Mary Carr on "A" Street now Ankeny Street. Later, property was purchased on North 3rd Street between "B" and "C" Streets now Burnside and Couch Streets. The cornerstone was laid here on June 3, 1869. The Church moved two more times through property investments and a growing congregation and in 1917 it settled at its current location on N. Vancouver and N. Skidmore Avenue. "First Church" has been a beacon of hope in North and Northeast Community of Portland for nearly 150 years, and continues to thrive through the grace of God. The diverse membership of the church for the "Whosoevers" continues to hold to God's unchanging hand as He leads First Church through the ever-changing times of the 21st century.